top of page


Living in a Shared Building

Living in Northwood Hall means sharing a building with other residents. Please consider their interests as well as your own. A sense of common respect will help to create a pleasant environment.

The volume of any music must not cause disturbance to other residents, and any noisy activities, including operating washing machines, between 11.00pm and 8.00am is a breach of the lease.


If residents are disturbed by noise outside of these hours, they can contact Haringey Noise Control, whose reactive Noise Response Service is available from Thursday to Sunday, 6.00pm–2.00am (020 8489 0000). Reports can also be made Monday to Friday 9.00am–5.00pm by calling 020 8489 1335.

The gardens are to be used for quiet recreation only, not noisy games or ball games.

To avoid smoke and other disturbance to residents, barbecues are only permitted on the hard-standing area in the rear garden, not on the grass or near the building. After a barbecue please dispose of any rubbish in the main rubbish bins, not the small garden bin.

Children of residents and visitors are not to play in corridors, staircases or any inside common areas.

No bird, dog or other animal can be kept in a flat at any time without the previous written consent of the freeholder or their agents. 


Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times, especially in the back garden. Owners must not allow them to foul the common areas, and be prepared to clean up after them.

The installation of wooden flooring is against the terms of the lease. Should any resident cause noise nuisance to others because of this, they will be instructed to lay carpets.

Smoking in the common areas is prohibited by law. Care should be taken when smoking on balconies that smoke doesn't drift into nearby flats.

Bicycles must not be left in the common areas, including the fire escapes, where they would create a hazard. (See Keys and Security for bicycle parking details.)

Keys and Security

Residents are asked not to let in people they don’t know as there have been break-ins to flats from the corridors. It is therefore advisable to double lock your flat door when out. Also close main doors firmly behind you, including the fire escape exits.

If you find any door, including the deliveries entrance, propped open unattended, it is best to shut it.

In addition to keys to your flat there is a black fob to open the main front door, the main side door at the deliveries entrance and the central garden door at the rear of the building. Replacement and additional fobs are available from the managing agent.

There is a third key which opens a number of gates around the building:


  1. the gate at the west front corner of the building nearest to Hornsey Lane that takes you onto a path down through the side garden; 

  2. a gate at the back of the building, again on the west side of the site, that leads to a path with steps that goes down through Tudor Close towards Langdon Park Road and onto Archway Road (useful for the 134 or 43 buses);

  3. the pedestrian gate on the right of the electronic gates in the rear car park that opens onto Hornsey Lane Gardens.


Northwood Hall’s entryphone is currently operated using a cellular service, so the handsets within each flat no longer work. The current system is being operated by TelGuard which charges an annual fee for maintenance. 


To use the entryphone system each flat needs to register up to two phone numbers (mobile and/or landline) which will ring when someone arrives. Residents should email these numbers to


At the entry doors there are panels with instructions on how to call a flat. Because the system only works with numbers rather than letters, those visiting Ground floor flats should input the digit 7 before the number of the flat, and those visiting Lower Ground flats should input the digit 8. 


The numbers which will call you are: Front Door Panel 07852 748 444; Back Door Panel 07852 748 449.


When you answer a call to the number you provided, you will be able to hear and speak to your visitor. To let them in, simply press the # key on your phone.


Some people seek access by ringing flats at random and claiming there is a parcel to be delivered. If this happens you can check the name of the addressee to ensure the visit is genuine. If the caller claims to be the postman seeking general access he should be told to do so via the porter. 

Fire Escapes & Fire Safety

Each arm of the building has a fire escape staircase at the far end. It is recommended that you keep a torch to hand in case the lights on these fail as they sometimes do.

Residents are asked to keep all windows shut on the fire escape staircase as the air supply from open windows would exacerbate any fire. 

Flats must have at least one smoke alarm installed, and residents are advised to keep a fire blanket and/or a domestic fire extinguisher in an easily accessible location.


The managing agent is KMP Solutions, telephone 020 8371 9171, ​and the property manager, Peter Christofi, can be contacted at

Any damage or disrepair which requires action by the managing agent must be notified to them as soon as possible. The number to call for out of hours emergencies is 0203 131 0080, reference KMP001375.

The managing agent must be notified immediately of any damage which may be subject to an insurance claim.


The porter is available at the front desk 8am to 9am and again 3pm to 4pm Monday to Friday.

Please report to them any lights that you notice are out of order in the public part of the building, including emergency staircases.

Residents are primarily responsible for the security of any packages delivered to the lobby. There is a locked cupboard to the right of the front doors where parcels can be stored/collected. Please contact KMP for the entry code.

The porter clears the rubbish from the service rooms on each floor Monday to Friday.

Rubbish – household

The main rubbish bins both for recycling and landfill rubbish are in the lower car park inside the electronic gates. All able-bodied residents are asked to take their rubbish to these bins.

As well as bins for landfill rubbish there are bins for recycling of co-mingled waste (paper, cardboard, tins, plastic, Tetrapaks, glass etc). Each flat should have a brown caddy to be used for collecting organic waste for recycling –anything from potato peelings to fish and meat bones. Only biodegradable caddy bags should be placed in the sealed organic recycling bins in the service rooms.

There are general household rubbish bins, organic recycling and general recycling bins in the service rooms just off the lobbies on every floor. These are emptied regularly, but if full, please take your rubbish down to the main bins in the lower car park.

Rubbish – bulky items

Bulky items must not be dumped in the bin rooms.

Reusable items can be sold or given away, advertised on the NH notice boards or taken to local charity shops.

Haringey Council offer a service with Veolia to collect bulky items. There is a fee of £25 to collect up to four bulky items, such as furniture, from your home. Any additional items will be charged at £10 per item, up to a maximum of 10 items per collection. To book, call 020 8885 7700 or email

You must leave any items you arrange to be collected on the day of collection or the evening before only outside the lower car park gates in the recess, but NOT on the pavement.

Bulky waste can also be taken to the Recycling Centre on Western Road, N22 6UG, which is open Monday to Sunday, 8.45am to 4.15pm.


The passenger lifts to the building lobbies are strictly for passenger transport.

There is a deliveries lift in the service rooms which should be used for moving furniture and all goods including bicycles. The only exceptions to this are wheelchairs and children’s buggies.


Residents doing general and supermarket online shopping must indicate on all order forms that delivery vans go round to the side car park and drivers use the intercom by the side door. No online deliveries should come through the main entrance using the passenger lifts. It is the responsibility of each resident to ensure that the delivery companies they employ follow this rule. 


Parking at Northwood Hall is not a right of the leaseholders but a permission by the freeholder.

There are spaces at the side of the building accessed via the deliveries entrance, and in the larger car park to the rear of the building, accessed via a set of electronic gates off Hornsey Lane Gardens. Fobs for these gates are available from the management, at a charge.

Parking is monitored, with Northwood Hall parking permits available from KMP Management. These must be displayed in your vehicle at all times. Residents' permits and visitors' permits are free to residents.

Always use the designated parking spaces, and respect the disabled, parent & child, short stay and loading designations. Incorrectly parked vehicles or those not displaying a valid permit may be served with penalty charge notices.

If you wish to park an untaxed vehicle pending sale you must obtain a statutory off-road notification (SORN) from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), advise the Porter, and ensure the vehicle is regularly cleaned so it does not look abandoned.


There is a waiting list for spaces in the Northwood Hall bike sheds (there are two – one in the side car park and another going down into the rear car park. Applications for spaces can be made with the porter. Once a space is allocated a code or a key is provided for access plus a brass numbered tag which must be attached to the bike so that when the sheds are checked it is clear the bike is parked with permission. This is at the owner’s risk so locking the bike inside the shed is advisable. A fee is charged per key and tag so please return at the end of tenancy. 

Doors and Windows

Condensation can be a problem on the windows when the air is damp (foggy days), and when it is particularly warm inside the flat but cold outside (winter). If you do not wipe the windows it will cause puddling on the window sills and potentially mould on the window frames, particularly in the kitchen and bathroom.

The lease requires that no washing be hung on balconies or be visible through windows.

For obvious reasons, do not throw anything out of the windows. 


Do not pour solids or fat down the sink as this will cause blockages to the waste water system. In the event of a blockage contact the managing agent to arrange for a specialist to attend. Blockages to waste water service is covered by a contract but not blockages caused by residents' mis-use or defective pipework.

Please ensure that the rainwater outlets to the balconies are kept clear at all times. Blockages to these can result in water entering under the French doors causing damage inside the flat and to the flat below.

Works to Individual Flats and Safety

No external or internal structural alterations may be carried without prior written consent from the freeholder.

No alterations may be made to interfere with common services. In particular any work to the central heating and plumbing installation (other than repair of faults or leaks) will not be permitted without prior written consent of the freeholder/managing agent.

When workmen or builders are employed, the resident must notify the porter in advance and a form will be required to be completed prior to carrying out such work. It is also advisable to distribute a schedule of works to immediate neighbours and corridors above and below to provide ample warning of likely disruption.


No building work may be carried out over the weekend, and not between 6.00pm and 8.00am during the rest of the week. The Leaseholder is responsible for ensuring that the workmen clear up after themselves, remove all rubbish from the premises, and use dust sheets in the communal areas outside the flat.

Leaseholders must ensure that all interior services in the flat are in good working order and in safe condition. In particular, Leaseholders must ensure that the wiring and electrical installation generally are in a safe condition. It should be checked by a qualified electrician prior to moving in and at regular intervals thereafter. Gas appliances should also be checked for safety once a year. This is a statutory obligation when letting.

Leaseholder Responsibilities When Letting Properties

Leaseholders letting their properties are responsible for ensuring that tenants comply with the obligations set out in the lease. The first Schedule of the Lease which sets out residents’ obligations should form part of any tenancy agreement and tenants – even under short-term agreements or Airbnb rentals – should be provided with a copy of these House Rules. 

Leaseholders who wish to sublet must obtain permission from the Manager, and it is the Manager's duty to deal with any complaints concerning the behaviour of tenants, particularly in short-term/Airbnb lets.

bottom of page